Follow TV Tropes
SpongeBob SquarePants S 2 E 29 “Survival of the Idiots” / “Dumped”
Airdate: March 5, 2001
SpongeBob and Patrick sneak into Sandy’s Treedome while she’s hibernating, but get locked in when the door freezes over. With no way out, the two must now try to survive until spring.
Survival of the Idiots contains examples of:
- Abnormal Ammo : SpongeBob’s snow cannon is also able to fire snow station wagons.
- An Aesop :
- Don’t disturb other people’s stuff when they’re gone.
- Don’t bother people who are tired and/or sleeping.
- Artistic License Biology : Squirrels do not hibernate for the winter.
- Bare-Handed Puppetry : Patrick makes the rolls of his back into “Pat Back”.
- Bears Are Bad News : Bulky!Sandy looks more like a bear than a squirrel, and she also roars like a bear.
- Big Eater : In the video she left warning potential visitors to stay away while she’s asleep for the winter, Sandy is seen wolfing down a huge pile of acorns. Justified in that she’s fattening herself up before her hibernation.
- Bottle Episode : The majority of this episode is set inside Sandy’s Treedome.
- Bullying a Dragon : SpongeBob and Patrick rudely interrupt Sandy’s hibernation by laughing and making loud noise whacking each other with weapons made of snow.
- Circling Birdies : After being knocked out by Sandy, Patrick sees hot wings flying around his head.
- Continuity Nod : Two episodes earlier had Sandy preparing for hibernation.
- Curb-Stomp Battle : Sandy’s very one-sided fight against “Dirty Dan” and “Pinhead Larry”.
- Especially Zoidberg : The video Sandy left in the entrance to her Treedome ends with her saying “During hibernation, animals do not like to be woken up, so do not disturb. (zoom in on her stern face) That means YOU, SpongeBob.”
- Human Doorstop : As punishment for tearing off all her fur, Sandy wraps Patrick and SpongeBob around her body, using them as living clothing to cover her bare skin.
- I’m Cold… So Cold… :Patrick: I’m so cold that I’m shivering!
SpongeBob: I’m so cold that I can use my nose drippings as a pair of chopsticks!
Patrick: I’m so cold that……I’M SHIVERING!
- Meaningful Name : Sponge Bob is quick to label Patrick “Pinhead Larry”, for obvious reasons. Patrick though isn’t content with this and insists on being “Dirty Dan”. When asked why, he proudly proclaims it’s because he’s dirty.
- Minimalist Cast : SpongeBob, Patrick and Sandy are the only characters that appear in this episode.
- Non Sequitur, *Thud* : “Hot wings.”
- Open Sesame : Patrick attempt at opening the frozen door. It doesn’t work.
- Screaming Woman : Sandy, when she discovers her fur is missing.
- Sleep Walking : Sandy’s clearly sleeping but her eyes are wide open and she thinks that Spongebob and Patrick are the outlaws she’s hunting and they’re in a sore need for a beatdown.
- Snowball Fight : With snow cannons, no less. That fire station wagons with nice paneling.
- Snow Means Cold : Sandy’s Treedome has snow in the winter, even though there is no logical reason for it to snow in a controlled environment such as this.
- Take That! : “I’ll get you [Dirty Dan and Pinhead Larry], you’re nothing but pure evil! Just like newspaper comics.”
- Talking in Your Sleep : Sandy when dreaming of fighting Texas outlaws. It’s all fun and games until she starts Sleep Walking and beats down on “Dirty Dan” and “Pinhead Larry”.
- Temporary Bulk Change : Sandy has fattened herself up for hibernation. She loses it all by springtime.
- Weight Taller : Fat Sandy is about twice as tall as regular Sandy.
Airdate: March 5, 2001
SpongeBob becomes jealous when Gary starts hanging around with Patrick instead of him.
Dumped contains examples of:
- An Aesop :
- As people grow, friend groups change. But it doesn’t hurt to keep communicating with people you haven’t talked to as much in a while.
- Don’t be jealous of other people when they have fun without you. Be happy for them.
- Sometimes, your “friends” are just using you to get what they want.
- Big Bad : Patrick is the main antagonist of this episode.
- Bottle Episode : The entire episode is set at Conch Street.
- Break the Cutie : SpongeBob does not take Gary’s rejection well.
- Cats Are Mean : Larry the snail. Not only does he refuse to obey SpongeBob, he forces him to sleep on the floor while Larry takes his bed.
- Does This Remind You of Anything? : Per the title, Gary abandoning Spongebob for Patrick is treated like a break up.
- Food and Animal Attraction : Turns out the reason Gary wanted to be with Patrick was because of the cookie he had in his back pocket.
- Foreshadowing : The first time Gary glomps to Patrick, he is on his middle back, and circles around his waist until nighttime. In fact, he is on Patricks stomach in most scenes of the two together. This is a clue that he only wanted the cookie in Patricks pocket.
- Hypocritical Humor : Patrick gives SpongeBob a scolding for mourning so much over Gary leaving him and (very poorly) rationalizes him taking Gary away but after Gary succeeds in getting the cookie out of Patrick’s pocket and so goes back to SpongeBob, Patrick doesn’t take it too well either.
- Jerkass Ball : Patrick treats SpongeBob like crap and shows no remorse for taking Gary.
- Medium-Shift Gag : One of the snails SpongeBob gets to replace Gary is a live-action garden snail named Jerry.
- “Shaggy Dog” Story : It turns out Gary was only around Patrick because of the cookie in his pocket. Once he ate that, he immediately returns to SpongeBob, which Patrick doesnt take well.
- Theme Naming : All of SpongeBob’s replacement snails have names that rhyme with “Gary”.
- What Happened to the Mouse? : We don’t see Larry again after SpongeBob reunites with Gary. We also don’t see what happened to Jerry, either.
- Christmas Who?
- Recap/SpongeBob SquarePants
SpongeBob SquarePants S 2 E 30 “No Free Rides” / “I’m Your Biggest Fanatic”
- SpongeBob SquarePants S 1 E 13 “Scaredy Pants” / “I Was a Teenage Gary”
- Sandbox/Pages in Accidentally Miscapitalised Namespaces
- SpongeBob SquarePants S 2 E 29 “Survival of the Idiots” / “Dumped”
You Know That Show…
Trope Launch Pad
- Show Spoilers
- Night Vision
- Sticky Header
- Wide Load
- Action Adventure
- Crime & Punishment
- Professional Wrestling
- Speculative Fiction
- Sports Story
- All Media
- Animation (Western)
- Comic Book
- Fan Fics
- Music And Sound Effects
- New Media
- Print Media
- Sequential Art
- Tabletop Games
- Applied Phlebotinum
- Characters As Device
- Narrative Devices
- Other Categories
- British Telly
- The Contributors
- Creator Speak
- Derivative Works
- Laws And Formulas
- Show Business
- Split Personality
- Stock Room
- Truth And Lies
- Truth In Television
- Topical Tropes
- Fate And Prophecy
Community Showcase More