(Male from United States)
Add to favorites
(Male from United Kingdom)
Add to favorites
Can you pronounce it better? Or with a different accent?
Pronounce Jephthah in English
Accents & languages on maps
stupid , and , cunt , been , butter
- Add languages
- Add categories
- Is there anything wrong with this word?
Request a new pronunciation
How to pronounce
- Gal Gadot
- General Tso
- La Croix
- Saoirse Ronan
- a judge of Israel. Judges 11, 12.
- What's the Difference Between i.e. and e.g.?
- Can You Translate These Famous Phrases From Emoji?
- These Are the Longest Words in English
- These Are the Saddest Phrases in English
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for jephthah
Historical Examples of jephthah
In the case of Jephthah‘s daughter the sacrifice was actually allowed.Bride of the Mistletoe
James Lane Allen
The story of Jephthah was also one of the favourite subjects of ancient tapestry.Hamlet
Should Jephthah have broken the vow that sacrificed his daughter?Gilbert Keith Chesterton
In the Book of Judges there is the story of a man named Jephthah.Standards of Life and Service
T. H. Howard
Jephthah stared at his transformed patient, and admitted that it was so.Judith of the Cumberlands
- Old Testament a judge of Israel, who sacrificed his daughter in fulfilment of a vow (Judges 11:12–40)Douay spelling: Jephte (ˈdʒɛftə)
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
biblical judge of Israel, from Greek Iephthae, from Hebrew Yiphtah, literally “God opens,” imperfective of pathah “he opened” (cf. pethah “opening, entrance”).
Others Are Reading
Word of the Day
- Words We Get Wrong: How Many of These Can You Say?
- Did You Know Real People Write the Dictionary?